First Steps Program
First Steps is a program of trained volunteers who visit new moms at Cartersville Medical Center, and offer emotional support, parenting education, and referrals to community services. The program is free and available to all moms giving birth at Cartersville Medical. Contact with the parent is continued by phone over the next three months.
You can help in many ways by:
- Making the initial visits with the moms
- Offering referrals, education and emotional support over the next 3 months to the family
- Preparing initial visit packets
- Helping to make sure support information is current
- Helping to submit paperwork to Prevent Child Abuse Georgia
- Helping to train other volunteers (after your training)
- Helping to coordinate First Steps volunteer meetings
To volunteer you must be at least 21 years old, pass a background check, and commit to a minimum of 6 months as a First Steps volunteer. you will also need a current TB test. The training is free and so is the TB testing. For more information or to volunteer please contact Courtney Jones at Courtney@AdvoChild.org.